Dolphin Research Center
Closing DateDecember 31, 2022
The School Programs & Outreach Curriculum Specialist is responsible for the development and alignment of educational materials and school programs; liaison for outreach coordination and reservations; and researching and developing new
outreach event opportunities. This position also includes learning the responsibilities of Education Program Host for crossover support.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
● Correspondence with Schools, Teacher/School liaison: cultivation of relationship &
programming, marketing, etc.
● Coordinating & development of school programs- develop current & new school
programming; coordinate school programs (outreach visits to schools, school visits to DRC- logistics) with direction from supervisors
● Aligning all education materials and programs with national and state standards
● Curriculum Development- maintain/update current curriculum to standards, develop new curriculum & review new materials/programs to ensure meet standards
● Teacher’s webpage update/maintenance on DRC website
● Ocean Celebration Day Coordination/Development- liaison with environmental
organizations and schools; coordinate the logistics of the event in partnership with
Senior Education Instructor/Coordinator with experience; implement and lead the event onsite at Dolphin Research Center
● FMSEA/NMEA/FAST Liaison & attendee; develop/participate in initiatives that result from conferences
● Education Grant development & writing
● Distance Learning Programs alignment, development, and conducting DL sessions
(knowledge and experience with ZOOM preferred)
● Learn CILC (Center for Interactive Learning Collaboration) for advertising distance
learning programming, and eventually take over complete coordination of CILC and
● Onsite mobile Education Exhibit Coordinator (Whale/Sea Lion/Manatee Wagons):
development, new artifact acquisition/incorporation, curriculum alignment, maintenance of content and structure
● Outreach- liaison with event organizers, coordinate outreach reservations and logistics, develop and ensure activities meet curriculum standards if needed, communicate details to instructors attending the event, receive feedback from instructors & communicate feedback to Admin and Programs Director of ED, propose/develop/research new outreach opportunities; liaison with DRC Volunteer Resource dept to coordinate volunteer participation; attend outreach events. Align outreach activities & presentations to ADA compliance.
● Educational outreach materials
○ Brochures provided by outside organizations- liaison with organization, request
additional materials when instructors communicate running low.
○ Recommend new materials needed for purchase and discuss with the Admin
Director of ED for ordering.
○ Restock the Education brochure supply.
● Learn and master the responsibilities of an Education Program Host, which include, but are not limited to:
○ Greet and engage public guests on DRC grounds
○ Give presentations, teaching workshops and/or seminars to public guests and/or
○ Narrate on-microphone live-action dolphin and sea lion sessions
○ Conduct guest and kids’ activities
○ Check in and coordinate participant/student activities
○ Monitor dolphin observation and activities with participants/students
○ Coordinate onsite DayTrips, DolphinCamp, DolphinLab, and Dolphin DayCamp
○ Transport DolphinLab students in a 15 passenger van
○ Assist in program preparation and development
○ Assist in preparation of pre-class and post-class activities and paperwork
○ Assist with answering information requests
○ Assist with resource and equipment maintenance
● DRC Training Institute (onsite Occupational Associates Degree program)- curriculum development and alignment, develop & update lectures, organize lecture materials, develop and conduct Professional Development courses for DRCTI faculty and instructors.
● Library Maintenance- assist in maintaining and organizing the Education library for staff and student use; be familiar with the inventory to aid staff/students in finding materials; complete a full inventory twice/year; checking out/checking in DVDs and general circulation materials. Basic library skills and knowledge are a plus: familiarity with the Library of Congress and Dewey Decimal systems for filing books; where to find call numbers and updating Education’s online database to add or remove books.
Education and Pre-requisites
● Demonstrated ability to proactively manage multiple, critical deadlines.
● Detail-oriented, organized, and resourceful.
● Flexible, motivated, self-directed.
● Excellent planning and logistic skills.
● Team player, able to interface and communicate smoothly with all levels of personnel (staff and students).
● Passionate about education and nurturing young adults to achieve their dreams.
● Knowledge and experience in curriculum development and standards alignment. Formal education experience and curriculum development is a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor’s, Master’s Degree preferred
● Previous teaching experience in a formal school setting a plus
● Excellent communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Ability to communicate effectively with teachers, staff at other organizations and
● Ability to manage stressful situations in a calm, discreet and respectful manner.
● Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
● Must be proficient in Google products at a minimum (Gmail, Drive, Classroom, etc). Familiarity with ZOOM preferred.
● Previous experience working in bookings & reservations, outreach coordination, and formal education settings and curriculum development.
● Master’s Degree
● Experience with and knowledge of ZOOM and Google products (Classroom, Slides, etc).
Compensation and benefits
DRC currently offers medical benefits, a 401(k) retirement plan, paid vacation, sick, and overtime, as well as personal growth and training opportunities. DRC seeks to provide for the well being of its employees and our salaries combined with our generous benefits create a competitive total package that is right for our environment.
If you are interested, please send your resume and a completed DRC application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also mail them to Dolphin Research Center, Human Resources Director, 58901 Overseas Highway, Grassy Key, FL 33050