Closing DateNovember 28, 2017
Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, education, and guest experience. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission to secure a better world for animals through human understanding. We provide extraordinary experiences every day for our animals and visitors and our core values of Protect, Honor, Innovate, Serve, Engage, and Empower are evident in everything we do. We value the different strengths our staff bring to Denver Zoo. We expect our staff to embrace and to commit to our core behaviors for engagement: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence.
Denver Zoo’s Safety and Sustainability Department has an opportunity for a full time Safety Manager to provide leadership in developing workplace health and safety measures and practices that help design better systems around our staff, and helping them make better choices in those systems and produce safer workplace outcomes at Denver Zoo. Reporting to the Director of Safety and Sustainability, the Safety Manager is responsible for developing, evaluating and managing the zoo’s workplace health and safety programs under the zoo’s existing Sustainable Management System (SMS) certified to both the ISO 14001 standard and OHSAS 18001 standard. The Safety Manager will also serve as Denver Zoo’s Just Culture Champion and support the roll-out of a Just Culture framework at the zoo and integration of that framework into the SMS. Critical to the success of this position is demonstrating a commitment to zoo’s workplace health and safety programs through ownership, leadership behaviors, continuous improvement, and building a connection of understanding, knowledge and trust with zoo’s leadership, staff, volunteers and external stakeholders.
• Adheres to and promotes Denver Zoo’s mission, core values, and strategic initiatives.
• Establishes, implements and oversees effective workplace health and safety programs that assist Denver Zoo in being compliant with OSHA, NFPA, AZA and other health and safety related regulations or standards.
• Recommends, develops, facilitates and oversees the implementation of workplace safety and Just Culture policies, programs and corrective actions within the zoo’s ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certified SMS.
• Demonstrates a commitment to zoo’s workplace health and safety programs through ownership, leadership behaviors, continuous improvement, and building a connection of understanding, knowledge and trust with zoo’s leadership, staff, volunteers and external stakeholders.
• Manage annual safety budget and annually identify and plan for budgetary and contracting needs for health and safety related items.
• Establish, conduct and/or oversee periodic health and safety inspections to ensure compliance with applicable regulations. Proactively address non-compliant situations by collaboratively working with department managers and staff to develop a timely solution.
• Perform accident investigations using Just Culture framework to help identify root cause and generate recommendations to reduce or eliminate system failures and perform follow-up inspections to verify effectiveness.
• Recommends and supply proper personnel protective equipment to Denver Zoo staff.
• Plan, organize, develop and conduct various health and safety training (on-line & classroom based). Submit and necessary paperwork to certification personnel in a timely manner.
• Prepare regulatory required reports, questionnaires, or other correspondence to outside enforcement agencies, and represent Denver Zoo as a liaison with regulatory agencies and other groups in discussions with outside agencies
• Chair Denver Zoo Safety Committee, providing direction on key tasks for committee to support development of health and safety programs in zoo’s SMS program.
• Communicate information on health and safety program zoo upper management, including compliance reports, health and safety related statistical data, and associated cost information, on a regular frequency.
• Review, interpret and comment (when appropriate) on new and proposed health and safety regulations (federal, state, and local) for impacts on Denver Zoo operations and advise management of the regulatory requirements.
• Work closely with the zoo’s Guest Experience Department and Animal Care Department to review, coordinate, and participate in emergency and safety procedures and drills.
• Performs related assignments related to zoo’s sustainability programs as management may direct.
• Demonstrates a commitment to Denver Zoo’s Safety & Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, & health regulations, procedures, and goals.
• Value and consistently apply Denver Zoo’s ROADMAP (Reaching Our Audiences by Developing Mission Aligned Programs) process and resources in engaging and educating guests at Denver Zoo.
• Manage and maintain MSDS and Hazard Communication program.
• Participates as the safety subject matter expert on the zoo’s Employee Training Team.
• Participates in activities of related professional organizations.
• Maintain and coordinate with Denver Zoo Security on relationship with outside organizations such as fire departments and rescue teams in order to ensure information exchange and mutual assistance.
• Performs various duties as assigned.
Education and Pre-requisites
• Associates or Bachelor degree in related field with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience.
• Experience performing job safety hazard analysis and implementing behavior-based health and safety best practices.
• Understanding and experience working with an Environmental Management Systems (EMS), ISO 14001, or Safety Management System such as OHSAS 18001.
• Able to proactively and effectively communicate with all levels of staff, and recognize the need to flex and interpersonal skills and styles to support improved understanding and trust.
• Ability to motivate , delegate, provide leadership, counseling, conflict resolution, training and listening, among others in order to successfully implement the health and safety policies and procedures, and recommend corrective actions.
• Training or knowledge of creating comprehensive workplace health and safety programs, including but not limited to, heavy equipment operation, hazardous material handling program, fall protection, confined space, lock out tag out, construction safety, first aid, blood borne pathogens, and PPE.
• OSHA 40-hour training course required within 90 days of employment.
• High level of computer skills in MS Office Suite
• Experience in project management and budget planning
• Must be able to communicate effectively (written and oral).
• Must have good organization skills and be able to plan, prioritize and coordinate several projects simultaneously.
• Must possess the ability to handle making tough decisions and handling difficult situations in order to provide value to overall health and safety program at Denver Zoo.
• Must be able to identify problems using investigative processes to analyze and evaluate complex information and ability to utilize creativity, innovation, best judgment, and logical reasoning to resolve these problems.
• Ability to organize and conduct effective training and education programs.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality, both operations and personnel related.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean record.
Compensation and benefits
This is a regular full-time position with excellent benefits, including complete medical/dental/vision coverage, 403(b) retirement plan, and a generous vacation package.
Completed applications must be submitted by November 28, 2017
Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to the above date.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply through www.denverzoo.org