B Bryan Preserve
Closing DateAugust 16, 2019
Bryan Preserve, AZA related certified facility located in Northern CA is looking for a winter intern for large African hoof stock. The position will start on November 1 and end March 1, 2020.
Candidates will gain valuable experience working alongside keepers with a variety of endangered African hoof stock including zebra, antelope and giraffe. Work ranges from physical tasks associated with feeding and maintenance of the animal’s living areas to more analytical tasks of record keeping and communication. Intern is also expected to conduct visitor tours twice daily or as needed. 4 day work week which will include weekends and holidays.
Daily duties include:
• Cleans and maintains enclosures; removes animal excrement and food remains
• Prepares food for animals; regulates and distributes food once prepared; loads and unloads foodstuffs; leaves grounds to cut browse.
• Observes behavior of animals in both day-to-day and long-term basis; notes any unusual behavior, signs of illness or injury and reports information.
• Assist lead keeper as needed for training
• Assist/observe veterinary procedures when required
• Completes keeper notes daily
• Conduct visitor tours twice a day
Education and Pre-requisites
trong work ethic, interest in animal care, husbandry, training and conservation
• Prefer experience in the care of captive hoof stock.
• Capable of accurately following written and verbal directions, policies and protocols.
• Ability to work alone in a remote area as well as part of a team.
• Comfortable working outdoors in physically demanding and adverse conditions
• Good physical condition; able to lift 50 lbs. and move a minimum of 120 lbs.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record. Will be driving a stick shift vehicle.
• Up to date tetanus vaccination
• Ability and confidence to speak publicly.
Compensation and benefits
$200/week stipend plus lodging
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please