Kentucky Reptile Zoo
Closing DateAugust 1, 2022
The Kentucky Reptile Zoo internship program offers college students or recent graduates the chance to receive hands-on reptile care experience at a facility with one of the most extensive and diverse reptile collections in the world. Starting dates are flexible, and the internship runs from late August to early January (holiday plans will be discussed during the application process).
The intern will assist in the captive maintenance of the zoo’s reptile collection, collect admissions to the exhibit, give interpretive talks and interact with the public, assist with educational outreach programs, and perform other duties as assigned. In addition, the intern will have the option to complete a research project related to the field of herpetology. The intern will not be involved in the handling of any venomous species.
Education and Pre-requisites
Applicants must have or be:
– A college student or recently graduated college student; former interns have arranged for academic credit with their institutions
– Students preferably majoring in the biological or natural sciences
– A valid driver’s license
– Personal transportation is recommended
– Willing to work weekends, receiving two days off during the week instead
– An ability to communicate effectively with people
– Should be comfortable handling snakes and other reptiles on a daily basis
– Able to do work such as lifting, bending, stooping, carrying heavy objects, and be willing to do work outdoors in a range of weather conditions
– Orientation to details
– Positive attitude and strong work ethic
– An interest in reptiles!
*Note: all interns must have a current tetanus shot and also be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Compensation and benefits
Benefits include experience at one of the most well known reptile facilities in the world alongside professional herpetologists, housing (including internet), and $500/month stipend to cover expenses. Interns have been successful in finding zoo keeper positions!
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, transcript, and at least 2 (preferably 3) references to:
Kentucky Reptile Zoo
200 L&E Railroad
Slade, KY 40376
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org