Closing DateJuly 20, 2022
Reporting to the Chief External Relations Officer, the Director, Guest Experience oversees and improves upon the daily operation of the Admissions complex. The selected candidate will have primary responsibility for maintaining maximum levels of revenue for the admissions, group sales, membership sales, rides and attractions and parking areas and will maintain exceptional standards for guest service, cleanliness, and physical appearance of all locations within the department. Additionally, the Director, Guest Experience is responsible for managing the ongoing guest service training program, recruitment, training, and motivation and evaluation of staff.
• Plans, schedules and directs the daily work activities of the Guest Experience Team (which includes but may not be limited to the admissions, group sales, membership sales, rides and attractions, Clean Team, and parking areas) in accordance with variations in projected attendance.
• Supervises and motivates Guest Experience Team, including assisting in the selection of personnel, training, resolution of performance issues, and the evaluation of personnel performance.
• Provides a motivating environment for associates to perform and develop to their best potential.
• Serves as the primary resource to receive and respond to guest service inquiries and complaints as well as conduct front line decision-making and problem solving in a courteous and professional manner.
• Serves as a role model in providing exemplary guest service and concern resolution.
• Oversees cash control, monitoring each function’s respective cash handling, return and void procedures, and reconciliation.
• Coordinates and processes group visits to the Zoo including presale, school group and consignment tickets.
• Monitor expense budgets and payroll records, and review of financial transactions in order to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted.
• Aids in the development of a departmental expense budget and accounts for all expenditures according to policy standards.
• Closely examines all current policies and procedures to identify those that are outdated and/or inefficient and leads the development and establishment of new or revised policies, procedures and goals that drive revenue and increase guest satisfaction.
• Serves as a key contributor in advancing technology initiatives that enhance the guest experience, particularly the ongoing maintenance of a new ticketing and point-of-sale system.
• Maintains an attractive, clean and organized admissions area.
• Orders and tracks inventory supplies and works cross functionally to correct or repair equipment and functionality issues.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
You have a passion for leading a team who share your desire to provide exceptional experiences for all Buffalo Zoo guests. The desired candidate has excellent listening and written and verbal communication skills. You must enjoy working with people and possess a friendly and outgoing personality.
To perform at a proficient level and be fully qualified, a person would expect to have:
Experience (Minimum Needed):
• Three years in a supervisory customer service role, preferably in a hospitality or service industry.
• Three to five years cash management experience.
• Experience working at the administrator level in a point of sale system.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise, motivate and carry forward an atmosphere that promotes a positive team environment and the highest quality guest experience.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and the public.
• Enjoy working with the public and diverse populations.
• Ability to prioritize daily work and demonstrate time management skills with an aim toward continuous improvement and results.
• Be interested in and enthusiastic about the mission, vision and progress of the Buffalo Zoo.
• Possess strong communications and interpersonal skills with an ability to offer positive and constructive feedback to team members.
• Quick adaptation and problem-solving skills, with the ability to exercise good judgment and a professional and poised attitude in changing and sometimes stressful environments.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Strong cash handling skills.
• Reliable and punctual attendance habits.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays and school breaks.
The Buffalo Zoo is an at Will employer and all Buffalo Zoo employees are subject to employment eligibility and background security checks as well as testing for illegal substance use as allowed by law. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education and Pre-requisites
• Associate’s Degree (Bachelor’s Degree preferred)
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits available include health plan, life insurance, dental, vision, 403B retirement plan, annual leave time, holiday time, and sick time benefits. Benefits are available after the successful completion of an introductory period of 60 days of work.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter in Word document or PDF by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No telephone calls please. Position open until filled. For more information about the Buffalo Zoo, please visit our website by the following link: http://www.buffalozoo.org