Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Closing DateJuly 31, 2014
Cleveland Metroparks is seeking applicants for several Animal Keeper vacancies. Depending on the position, the incumbent may be placed in an area that contains: elephants, large carnivores, hoofstock, primates, aquatic species, macropods, pinnipeds, and birds.
Details of the animals in the Zoo’s exhibits are available online at www.clevelandmetroparks.com/zoo
• Provides food, water, medications and supplements as indicated by schedules, prescriptions, or diet boards
• Completes and reviews daily activity reports
• Cleans, maintains and disinfects animal exhibits
• Observes animals daily and reports behavior, appearance, unique characteristics and fecal conditions
• Trains assigned animals for husbandry purposes
• Performs proper restraint techniques for crating, transferring and veterinary procedures
• Provides continual environmental enrichment by approved methods
• Participates in ex situ and/or in situ conservation and/or research initiatives
• Demonstrates initiative, dependability, resourcefulness, good judgment, a positive attitude, common sense and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public
• Performs other duties as apparent or assigned
Education and Pre-requisites
• High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in animal sciences or related field preferred
• Two years full-time experience with captive exotic animals; six months if possess a bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated education, training and experience supporting the functions above
• Demonstrated ability to work in hot or cold weather, dusty, wet, and odorous conditions
• Must be able to maneuver 75 pounds
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License
• Must be non-smoker/tobacco user
Candidates will need to be skilled in dealing with and have a strong working knowledge of a very diverse taxa of animals. Candidates also need great attention to detail, proactive communication style, and be cooperative with taking work direction from supervisory and non-supervisory staff.
Compensation and benefits
STARTING WAGE: $22.52 per hour with a.50 cent increase every six months until achieving the union base rate of $24.02 per hour
HOURS: Ten hour shifts, four days a week. Days off will be based on assigned location and may vary.
DATE POSTED: 7/18/2014
FILING DEADLINE: 7/31/2014
TO APPLY: Your cover letter must clearly explain how your skills and experience align with the above job qualifications.
E-mail résumé referencing job #14900 to:
Cleveland Metroparks is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and talented workforce.