Salisbury Zoological Park
Closing DateJuly 5, 2021
Under the supervision of the Collections Operations Supervisor, the Zoo Keeper I position prepares food for animals, cleans and disinfects animal exhibits, and implements behavioral enrichment to enhance animals’ lives.
1. Prepares diet for all animals.
2. Cleans animals and maintains animal exhibits.
3. Observes animals for odd behavior or illness.
4. Performs behavior enrichment activities for animals.
5. Assists with facility maintenance.
6. Provides security for Zoo grounds.
7. Assists Zoo Director in public relations, planning events and fundraising activities, and long-range planning for the Zoological Park.
8. Provides appropriate first aid to Zoo visitors if required.
9. Keeps supervisor informed of unusual or detrimental conditions and process problems.
10. Keeps informed on current Zoological and animal care practices by attending workshops and educational programs or reading specialized literature.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Pre-requisites
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D.
2. Three years of related experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Working knowledge of City policies and procedures.
2. Act as a representative of the City of Salisbury to the public.
3. Knowledge of zoological policies and practices regarding animal care and exhibit maintenance.
4. Effectively communicate with the public courteously and tactfully at all times.
5. Effectively communicate and maintain effective working relationships with other staff members and members of the public.
6. Knowledge of animal diet requirements.
7. Knowledge of safe animal handling procedures.
8. Follow written and oral instructions.
9. Effectively prioritize and multitask with attention to detail.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work requires considerable physical effort in the handling of materials up to 80 pounds and/or continual standing or walking 60%+ of the time.
The work involves risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g., working with animals, equipment, and machinery and observance of traffic signals when driving. May require working in adverse weather conditions.
Compensation and benefits
Apply through this link: