Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation
Closing DateApril 18, 2018
Full-Time, Seasonal Position (40 hrs/wk)
March 20, 2018 thru October 31, 2018
Supervised by the Chief Animal Curator
Zoo Educators work to design and deliver high-quality educational programming in the Animal Habitats area of the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation. Candidates can expect opportunities to develop new programming for all ages through our public programs and events and help deliver well-established programs such as our Animal Encounters, Behind-the-Scenes Tours, and Animal Birthday & Beary Scary Halloween special events. Zoo Educators may also assist Animal Keepers in animal care and feeding.
• Delivers highly engaging and empowering interpretive programs, “Animal Encounters”, involving animals in captivity several times per day.
• Assists in the coordination of the department’s special events, including Animal Birthday Party, Creatures of the Night, and Beary Scary Halloween Party
• Handles and displays presentation animals to the public for both onsite and offsite programs
• Constantly exhibits a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service.
• Communicates with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests with questions and directions to various areas of the Animal Habitats. Addresses the guest – does not wait to be asked.
• Observes, evaluates and reports animal behavior and condition of animals and reporting to a supervisor on a daily basis.
• Successfully secures animals, their enclosures, and other associated structures.
• Provides assistance in maintenance of animal enclosures.
• Provides assistance with animal transfers.
• Establishes and maintains positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees.
• Removes trash and debris from public areas; i.e. pick up litter whenever you see it.
• Other duties as assigned
• 60% Zoo Education Program Facilitation
• 20% Program Planning and Preparation
• 10% Animal Keeper Duties
• 10% Safety and Operational Duties
Education and Pre-requisites
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Two years minimum experience in interpretation, environmental education, and/or public speaking.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, adapt to change, and to prioritize effectively.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
• Understanding of natural science themes, nature-play, and animal behavior.
• Have reliable transportation.
• Flexibility of hours: weekend and holidays are required.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Compensation and benefits
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include “Zoo Educator Position” in the subject line.
Acceptable applications include:
• General Grandfather Mountain application (available at https://grandfather.com/about-grandfather-mountain/our-team/join-the-team/ ),
• Cover letter
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.