Closing DateDecember 13, 2019
RainForest Adventures is a zoo located in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. We opened in 2001. Our annual attendance exceeds 125,000. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the nations most visited, over 12 million visitors come for the natural beauty and recreation found in East Tennessee.
We are seeking a highly passionate and dedicated person ready to go above and beyond in the role of Senior Keeper.
Are you up for the challenge? Do you bring expertise in a zoological, retail or agricultural setting? If yes, then we’ve been waiting for you!
The Senior Keeper’s primary responsibilities are for providing proper husbandry to the collection including daily observations of dietary and behavioral habits, cleaning and maintaining assigned exhibit and holding areas. The Senior Keeper uses independent judgment and critical thinking to problem solve when necessary, keeping animal welfare at the forefront of decisions and actions. The Senior Keeper is also responsible for the daily oversight of assigned areas, ensuring that related projects are progressing, and leading the daily activities of a staff of Keepers while serving as a role model.
The Senior Keeper practices supervisory skills by modeling positive, example-setting behavior while demonstrating a commitment to reaching the goals and objectives of the facility.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Zoology or related field required OR equivalent experience.
• 3+ years progressive levels of responsibility providing daily husbandry to terrestrial animals. 1+ years of experience training/supervising others highly preferred.
• Knowledge of modern principles of animal care and welfare, including behavioral enrichment, exhibitory, nutrition, disease, transport, and training; strong operant conditioning skills a plus.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of planning and acquisition of species and specimens, including setting up enclosures, quarantine procedures, etc.
• Must possess strong observational skills to ensure animal health and safety.
• Must possess sound judgment and ability to use common sense for effective decision-making.
• Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds, kneel, bend, crouch, squat, and stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work effectively in all weather conditions, we are primarily indoors.
• Knowledge of safe animal handling practices and maintaining a safe working environment.
• Working knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, codes, and ordinances as applicable to possessing native and exotic wild animals.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated leadership ability; experience mentoring others preferred.
• Ability to work independently as well as leading a team.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes weekends and holidays as required.
The following are highly desirable knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors critical to successfully leading your team!
Pay is commensurate with experience.
Education and Pre-requisites
3-5 years paid experience in a zoological or agricultural setting.
Compensation and benefits
Pay is commensurate with experience
Please email resume to email@example.com