African Safari Wildlife Park
Closing DateOctober 4, 2020
No two days will be the same, this Position entails being able to be cross-trained in all animal-related Positions at African Safari Wildlife Park. Will be working in both Guest areas as well as behind-the-scenes areas with on-Staff Keepers.
Animal Care Responsibilities – may include but are not limited to:
• Cleaning Stalls, barns, outlaying animal pens
• Maintaining a clean and safe working environment
• Raking halls
• Driving Tractors (after trained and comfortable on a tractor)
• Unloading hay
• Animal Record Keeping/Documentation
• Will prepare animal diets as prescribed and deliver daily diets to assigned species
• Will provide fresh water daily
• Will clean and maintain indoor and outdoor animal exhibit areas on a daily basis or as determined by management. Will ensure animal containment at all times.
• Will comply with all safety procedures including the use of Lock Out/Tag Out when entering or leaving exhibit areas.
• Will observe and monitor the health status of each individual animal on a daily basis or more often as determined by veterinarian, or General Manager.
• Will perform daily and regular inspections of assigned area to ensure animal containment and keeper safety. All safety or exhibit concerns will be reported to the General Manager. May accompany maintenance staff on inspection tours.
• May assist the Veterinarian in medical procedures as needed. May provide medical care as designed by the Veterinarian or General Manager.
• Responsible for becoming familiar with the husbandry guidelines for assigned species. Becomes knowledgeable for assigned species’ behaviors, including breeding, socialization, parenting, etc.
• Will attend and contribute to keeper meetings.
• Will assist other departments during special events, after hours events, conference center bookings, and other programs.
• May occasionally work off-site for an individual or company other than ASWP. If and when this occurs, policy and procedures are in place that ensures all laws are met and the employee is properly compensated.
• May require use of private vehicle on occasion.
• Assist Drive-Thru Rangers in keeping animals/moving animals into proper sections
• Assist with camel rides if needed (could entail walking camels and or loading camels, cash management, etc).
• Present a friendly, courteous and helpful demeanor to all guests at all times
• Wave to all guests and staff
• Make sure guests and animals are safe and following all park rules and guidelines while enjoying their park experience
Education and Pre-requisites
Necessary Skills for all Positions:
• Must be comfortable operating farm equipment, does not require past experience as training will be a part of the job
• Will present a friendly, courteous and helpful demeanor to all guests at all times
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently and as a Team Member
• Excellent guest service skills: ability to adhere to Companies Guest Service Standards
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds
• Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel
• Must be a team player
• Must be safety conscious
• Will present a friendly, courteous, helpful demeanor to all guest at all times.
• Have a valid Driver’s License
• Certain jobs may require you to access confined areas, climb ladders, lift or carry items up to 50lbs, escort or guide people or animals, perform overhead or ground level duties, etc.
• Be able to stand for long periods of time up to 8 hours, (Excluding Breaks)
• Be able to work in adverse weather conditions
Compensation and benefits
This is a Paid Seasonal Position. Job could also be classified as an Internship if needing school credit.
Compensation is based on experience, position starts at $9.00/hr.
Can work more than 40 hours per week during Seasonal Dates. Flexible scheduling.
Please Apply Online via our Online Application
Answer: “Seasonal Zoo Keeper” for the Question: “Which position are you most interested in?”
Once an Application has been processed, you will receive emails with further instruction.