Reptile and Amphibian Discovery Zoo, Medford, MN
Closing DateApril 30, 2021
Keeper will be responsible for accomplishing animal care and exhibit maintenance for a diverse collection of just over 200 species of reptiles and amphibians as well as a few species of birds, invertebrates, and fish. A variety of guest interactions will be required including individual guest interactions at the zoo, presentations to school groups or families in our amphitheater, and also conducting traveling presentations at schools, daycares, birthdays and more. The position entails approximately 60% animal husbandry and 40% guest interaction/presentations. This position requires an individual with a high degree of professionalism who takes pride in work well done. This individual must be a leader and a team player. The priorities for this position include attention to animal care and health, fostering a positive team environment, and accomplishing an excellent guest experience.
Essential Job Functions
• Assist in the care of a diverse animal collection including feeding, cleaning, exhibit design, enrichment, training, and the administration of medications when necessary.
• Keep all exhibit areas and off exhibit areas clean, neat and well organized.
• Help train new employees, interns, and volunteers to assure compliance with established standards and protocols.
• Independently conduct traveling animal outreach presentations for a variety of audiences.
Education and Pre-requisites
• After a period of training, must be willing to work with potentially dangerous animals in the collection, including crocodilians, large pythons, and venomous snakes.
• All team members must understand the significance of their role and how they can positively impact visitors. Pro-active, friendly communication will be expected at all times, as well as anticipating visitors’ needs.
• Ability to lead, and work as a part of a team in a constantly changing environment as well as individually, with a minimum of supervision
• A valid driver’s License with a good driving record
• Ability to drive a medium size SUV is required to do traveling programs. Must also be able to do simple vehicle maintenance like check and fill oil and fluids if needed.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Maintain a non-smoking work environment
• Adherence to zoo personal appearance standards
Guest/Customer Service Skills— must have knowledge of principles for providing quality customer service to provide great guest interaction. Also need to be able to or willing to learn how to run a cash register to check guests in and out of the zoo.
Physical Demands- Need to be able to lift 50 pounds. Able to move quickly if needed. Must be able to do some repetitive physical work such as shoveling, scrubbing, or using a shop-vac. Must be able to navigate ladders to service some exhibits.
Work Environment- Indoors when working at the zoo, but must be able to work outside during the summer for some of the traveling programs, with temperatures occasionally reaching into the 90’s.
May be exposed to allergens such as dust and cut grass.
Pre-Employment Testing- Successful candidates must pass a background check.
Compensation and benefits
Compensation: $12.50 – $14 per hour dependent on experience
Benefits: 1 day of paid flex time accumulated once per month worked for full time employees. Potential for tips. No medical benefits.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Will do Skype video interviews for applicants that live out of state