Closing DateJuly 5, 2019
The Buffalo Zoo is hiring a part-time Animal Keeper I for the Hoofstock Team. Selected candidates would be expected to work 21-28 hours per week.
Basic Purpose and Responsibility:
Under the supervision of the General Curator, the Part-Time Keeper I would be responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations associated with the husbandry of the animals and the maintenance of animal exhibits.
● Primary accountability for specific functions and results. The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented or changed as necessary.
● Prepares and provides diet and feeding regime to designated animals as specified by the supervisor-in-charge.
● Assists in the cleaning and shifting of animals to perform exhibit maintenance duties and modify exhibits to meet seasonal requirements.
● Assists veterinary staff with any prescribed treatment routines or medication administration.
● Records and reports any abnormal animal health or behavioral condition to the supervisor.
● Assists with departmental research projects as directed by the Curator and provides support to other Zoo projects as needed.
● Identifies any potential maintenance or safety issues and reports them to the supervisor.
● Cooperates in answering questions presented by the public, other Zoo employees, volunteers and interns to promote quality guest service.
● Assumes the duties of Keeper II and Keeper III on an as needed basis.
● Oversees work activities and provides training for interns or seasonal workers assigned to that area.
● Performs any additional animal care duties or departmental responsibilities as directed by the supervisor.
Education and Pre-requisites
To perform at a proficient level and be fully qualified, a person would be expected to have:
Education (Minimum Needed):
● Two-year degree in one of the natural sciences or other discipline.
Experience (Minimum Needed):
● Experience with a diversified exotic animal collection gained through internships, volunteer experience or employment. Extensive domestic animal experience may be a qualifying substitute.
● Experience with physical restraint equipment, vehicles and related maintenance equipment.
● Demonstrated proficiency in use of all cleaning and husbandry equipment and supplies.
● Must possess or be able to obtain within 30-days of employment a valid New York State driver’s license and have an average or better driving record based on the evaluation process of our insurance company.
● Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary.
● TB Test conducted annually.
● Rabies pre-exposure vaccination series a plus.
Compensation and benefits
This is a part-time, non-exempt hourly CSEA union position. If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to Joe Hauser, Buffalo Zoo, via email@example.com Use subject line: Buffalo Zoo Part Time Keeper Position HOOF. Attachments are to be formatted: Last name first name Cover Letter.Doc or PDF, and Last name first name Resume.Doc or PDF.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Buffalo Zoo is an At Will employer and All Buffalo Zoo employees are subject to employment eligibility and background security checks as well as testing for illegal substance use as allowed by law.