Center for Great Apes
Closing DateApril 25, 2023
Opportunity for qualified individuals to work with orangutans and chimpanzees at the only accredited sanctuary for both species of great apes.
The Center for Great Apes is a GFAS-accredited sanctuary and currently provides lifetime care for 27 orangutans and 42 chimpanzees who have been rescued or retired from entertainment, research, or the exotic pet trade.
Applicants should have experience in the normal exotic animal caregiving duties of daily cleaning, diet prep, feeding, providing creative enrichment, and monitoring health and behavior.
Education and Pre-requisites
• 2 years’ experience in animal husbandry, animal care teaching school, or equivalent primate husbandry internships;
• At least two years of college in a related subject;
• Have a philosophy of animal care and animal respect that blends with the Center’s mission;
• Be able to lift 50 pounds and carry for a short distance;
• Be able to work outdoors in inclement weather including rain, heat, and humidity
• Be available to work any day of the week including weekends and holidays;
• Have a current negative TB test and proof of COVID19 vaccination.
• 2+ years of great ape husbandry experience;
• Experience in positive reinforcement training;
• Associate or Bachelor’s college degree in animal-related sciences.
Compensation and benefits
Hourly salary based on experience ($16 -$18+)
12 PTO days first year that increase with each year of service,
Health insurance compensation,
Employee Assistance Program
Please send all resumes with an application to email@example.com.
The application is available on our website, https://centerforgreatapes.org/employment/