Virginia Safari Park
Closing DateSeptember 20, 2022
The Virginia Safari Park (www.virginiasafaripark.com) is an award-winning 180-acre drive-through safari park (within our 500-acre facility) located in Southwest Virginia. This ZAA-Accredited Facility houses 1,000+ specimens of a wide variety of hoofed stock, including breeding groups of white rhinoceros and reticulated giraffe. We also breed cheetahs, Ruppel’s vultures, radiated tortoises, African penguins, Giant anteaters, and a variety of other endangered and rare species.
Conservation is at the core of what we do. Through our various breeding programs and in conjunction with our Corporate Conservation Coordinator we annually fund a myriad of conservation programs both nationally and internationally.
We are hiring dynamic, physically fit, experienced animal people who are either in a lead/senior role or who are ready to take the next step up to this level. The position is physically demanding and active. This is a hands-on working position and requires work in the field. Applicants must have significant hands-on animal experience, including proven management experience. Must be professional, in both demeanor and appearance. Non-smoking work environment.
Job Description: Lead Keeper, Safari
• Supports Animal Care Manager in the day-to-day management of the team and performs various leadership duties.
• Training staff on new animal behaviors.
• Assisting with the creation of area standard operating procedures and various animal management plans, ensuring compliance with ZAA and USDA guidelines.
• Overseeing area in absence of area curator, with support of General Curator.
• Ensure a high level of animal care and welfare.
• Maintains daily reports and other required records.
• Preparing diets and delivering animal feedings.
• Giving medications and assisting with various animal health procedures.
• Observing, logging, and reporting issues concerning animal behavior, health, and welfare.
• Record-keeping will be of paramount importance.
• An understanding of nutrition, conformation, breeding habits, proper display techniques, and an eye for animal health and well-being
• Develops and manages, with senior staff, behavioral conditioning, and enrichment plans.
Education and Pre-requisites
• 3+ years of paid experience in a zoological park or breeding center with at least 1 year of ever-increasing responsibilities in a Lead or Senior position.
• Extensive hands-on experience with hoofed stock including experience working with giraffes and rhinoceros.
• A BS in Animal Science/Biology preferred
• A strong work ethic, good physical condition, and a willingness to learn
• Professional in both demeanor and appearance.
• Have the ability to work in all weather conditions
• Experience in using or willing to learn to use trucks, tractors, weed eaters, and other types of machinery
• Self-motivated and organized, able to follow projects through to completion.
• Precise record-keeping, collection management experience
• Knowledge of proper animal conformation & body conditions, gestation periods, nutrition, and forages is a plus.
• Valid Driver’s license
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs
Compensation and benefits
Starting salary range of $36,400- $41,600 commensurate with experience. Paid sick and vacation time, comp time, insurance options including vision and dental, 401k.
How to apply
Email applications to email@example.com with Lead Keeper in the subject line. Only those applicants who fulfill the first 2 requirements will receive a response.