Tanganyika Wildlife Park
Closing DateMarch 1, 2021
Tanganyika Wildlife Park in Goddard, KS is looking for hardworking, self-motivated, dedicated animal care staff. Currently the park is 25 acres and has another 40+ acres to expand and we plan on growing. A new children’s zoo and safari park are among the plans for expansion. Tanganyika prides itself in providing wildly different experiences for its guests and being stewards for the animals in our care. In the past year, we have developed a set of core values to guide leadership and our team to improve and continue to meet our goals of becoming a destination park for visitors and a great place to work. If you like a fast paced, growth mindset culture come join the change.
As an intern you’ll spend time working in each area of the park, from the bird routine to rhinos. You’ll gain first hand experience working hands on with the animals at the park and you’ll be assigned to work encounter stations where you’ll gain customer service skills and become an excellent reader of behavior. In addition, monthly workshops will help grow your knowledge and skills. Come join the Tanganyika family and we’ll invest in your future while you help us build ours.
If you love watching guests feed lettuce to a giraffe, helping kids connect with lorikeets, chopping carrots, and assisting keepers in daily husbandry and care then you need to spend the season with us.
Internship runs March 1st-November 14th 2021
Hours will vary but interns should expect to work 30 paid hours and 10 hours unpaid each week. The unpaid hours will give you extra schedule time to work on your individual project, get more time in your favorite animal area, more one-on-one time with keepers, training time, or to simple aid a keeper on a larger project.
Education and Pre-requisites
• 18 years of age or older before the start of the internship
• Preference given to college students working towards a degree or those that have a degree in a zoo science, wildlife biology, zoology, or other related field
• Excellent public speaking and customer service skills
• Desire to grow as a team member, animal keeper, and human being
• Ability to stand or walk and be able to perform physical work outside in all weather conditions
• Ability to bend, stoop, and lift 50-75 pounds when necessary
• Ability to work long hours, weekends, weekdays, holidays, and everyday
• Interns are required to work with the keepers of their area to create and assess an original enrichment device or approved habitat improvement project
Desired skills, experience, and individual qualities:
• Self motivated
• Hard working
• Ability to read behavior
• Fast learner
• Operant conditioning experience
• Conflict resolution
Compensation and benefits
Limited housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Housing is not guaranteed.
Please apply at https://twpark.applicantstack.com/x/openings.
If you have any issues apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Deadline January 31st, 2021