Ellen Trout Zoo
Closing DateJanuary 1, 2020
Looking for individual to be responsible for carrying out all aspects of daily animal care and husbandry for a diverse collection of animals.
Immediate position involve working primarily with mammals, birds and some reptiles.
A strong work ethic, personal accountability, enthusiasm, and eye for excellence are required. Must be flexible and adaptable to working within the framework of a small zoo. Must have a respect for animals, professional attitude about the work and about working as a member of the zoo team for the benefit of the animals.
• Responsible for the daily observation of animal health and welfare.
• Preparation of animal diets, feeding and watering according to an established schedule. Clean, disinfect and sanitize water and food dishes.
• Clean and disinfect animal enclosures, holding areas, and exhibit features; drain and clean pools; collect and dispose of refuse.
• Maintain on and off exhibit aesthetics (planters, yards, perches, other exhibit “furniture”, etc.). Maintain live exhibit plantings to enhance exhibit aesthetics for visitors and provide a comfortable habitat for animals.
• Maintain clean and organized animal enclosures, equipment, and keeper areas.
• Maintain water quality through filtration, appropriate chemicals, and sanitation methods for aquatic and semi-aquatic animals.
• Physical aspects of the job include: lifting logs, rocks, hay bales, and feed bags.
• Perform minor repairs and improvements to enclosures.
• Maintain and inspect area of responsibility to meet AZA and USDA standards.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Report births, deaths, injuries and/or abnormal behavior of animals to supervisor.
• Assist with husbandry and veterinary procedures.
• Maintain daily reports, logs, veterinary records, and other records as assigned.
• Carry out duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Pre-requisites
Position requires Bachelor of Science degree in Biology or a combination of education and experience to provide the desired level of proficiency; good physical condition; ability to present a positive professional image of the City of Lufkin and the Zoo to members of the public.
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth and development. The position involves working on weekends and holidays. This position is exempt for overtime. Employees are required to contribute 7% (pre-tax) to the retirement fund through payroll deduction.
The job involves working on weekends and holidays. The starting salary is $27,911.69 annually.
To be considered, you must submit all of the following 3 documents: resume, cover letter, and completed application. Applications are available for download at http://cityoflufkin.com/hr/jobs.htm. Mail these 3 documents to Human Resources Department at Lufkin City Hall, 300 E. Shepherd Suite 226, Lufkin, TX 75901. Please include your email address if you have one to facilitate correspondence. Candidates must be able to be present for onsite interviews.