Reptile and Amphibian Discovery Zoo in Minnesota
Closing DateSeptember 10, 2022
Keeper will be responsible for accomplishing animal care and exhibit maintenance for a diverse collection of just over 150 species of reptiles and amphibians as well as a few species of birds, invertebrates, and fish. This position requires an individual with a high degree of professionalism who takes pride in work well done. This individual must be a leader and a team player. The priorities for this position include attention to animal care and health, fostering a positive team environment, and accomplishing an excellent guest experience.
Essential Job Functions
• Assist in the care of a diverse animal collection including feeding, cleaning, exhibit design, enrichment, training, and the administration of medications when necessary.
• Keep all exhibit areas and off exhibit areas clean, neat and well organized.
Provide animal encounters for the guests.
• Help train new employees, interns, and volunteers to assure compliance with established standards and protocols.
• After a period of training, must be willing to work with potentially dangerous animals in the collection, including crocodilians, large pythons, and venomous snakes.
• All team members must understand the significance of their role and how they can positively impact visitors. Pro-active, friendly communication will be expected at all times, as well as anticipating visitors’ needs.
• Ability to lead, and work as a part of a team in a constantly changing environment as well as individually, with a minimum of supervision
• Maintain a non-smoking work environment
• Adherence to zoo personal appearance standards
Guest/Customer Service Skills— must have knowledge of principles for providing quality customer service to provide great guest interaction. Also need to be able to or willing to learn how to run a cash register to check guests in and out of the zoo.
Physical Demands- Need to be able to lift 50 pounds. Able to move quickly if needed. Must be able to do some repetitive physical work such as shoveling, scrubbing, or using a shop-vac. Must be able to navigate ladders to service some exhibits.
Education and Pre-requisites
Compensation and benefits
Compensation : $15 – $18 per hour dependent on experience
Benefits- 1 day of paid flex time accumulated once per month for full time employees. No medical benefits but Minnesota has great health care options.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org