Mill Mountain Zoo
Closing DateMarch 6, 2019
• Classification: Full Time, Salary, Exempt, Flexible Schedule, Nights & Weekend Availability Required
• Reports to: Co-Director, Zoo Operations
• Oversees all aspects of the guest experience at the Zoo including but not limited to ticket sales for admission, staff scheduling and operation of the Zoo Choo, Gift Shop and any food services.
• During the April-October season assists with hiring, training and supervision of guest services staff.
• Assists with Zoo marketing, social media and events.
• Coordinates with Zoo staff to support and staff on-site and off-site events as necessary.
• Handles all Zoo facility rentals including birthday parties and any non-Zoo rentals.
• Ensures that Zoo obtains and maintains required licenses and permits for operation of Zoo guest facilities.
• Responsible for maintaining appropriate, accurate and current guest informational signage at the Zoo gate, Discovery Center and Zoo Display Board at walkway by Discovery Center and any other necessary guest-related signage throughout the Zoo.
• Responsible for Zoo phone system including answering calls and maintaining appropriate voice mail messages.
• Responsible for creating and maintaining an inviting and attractive Gift Shop that carries seasonable and topical products primarily manufactured locally or in the United States when at all possible. Negotiates with vendors, oversees receiving and stocking, conducts inventory, utilizes point of sale equipment, sets prices, plans displays and maintains a clean and inviting environment. Ensures that all Guest facilities are cleaned and supplied at the beginning and end of each day to include restroom facilities.
• Ensures that Zoo restroom facilities are operational and clean on a regular basis throughout the day by making regularly scheduled checks.
• Maintains daily cash receipts and admission records and follows daily cash procedures as determined by Director of Zoo Operations.
• Makes recommendations on equipment purchases and any needed renovations.
• Orders operational supplies, assists with preparing guest services annual budget.
• Tracks Zoo admissions for market data such as home zip codes and maintains records for admissions visitor info.
• Off season assists with planning for next season as well as performing other duties necessary and assigned by the Director of Zoo Operations.
• Scheduling and coordination of group volunteers
Education and Pre-requisites
• College level business background or equal experience
• Knowledge of retail and concession operations,
• Hospitality background a plus.
• General accounting and inventory recordkeeping knowledge,
• Must be positive and outgoing and have the ability to interact with public.
• Must have good organizational skills.
• Background check required.
• Valid VA driver’s license.
• Ability to lift minimum of 40 pounds
• Ability to be on your feet for long periods of the work day
• Ability to work out of doors during inclement weather
Compensation and benefits
Hourly Wage: To Be Determined
Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Sick Leave
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Robin Lentz, Co-Director at email@example.com