Closing DateJuly 31, 2020
The Buffalo Zoo is looking for a Grounds Keeper I to perform grounds maintenance duties with a primary focus of horticultural work; and a secondary function of janitorial tasks and supply stocking.
• Minimum Education/Experience – AAS Degree in Ornamental Horticulture -OR- Equivalent work experience of 3-5 years.
• Knowledge of hardy and tropical plant identification and care.
• Experience in basic grounds maintenance duties including lawn mowing, weed trimming, janitorial tasks, planting, pruning, and snow removal preferred.
• Must have mechanical aptitude, be detail oriented, and be able to work independently and with a team.
• Irrigation installation and maintenance preferred.
• Moderate experience with the operation of lawn/garden equipment, power tools, tractors, skid loaders, snow plows preferred.
• Preferred (but not requirement) New York State Certified Landscape Professional (or equivalent) and New York State Certified Pesticide Applicator preferred.
• Must have a valid NYS Drivers License (non-CDLC or CDL class) and have an average or better driving record based on the evaluation process of our insurance company.
• TB Test Conducted Annually.
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays as necessary.
Education and Pre-requisites
• Able and willing to perform sustained work of a physical nature, may require heavy lifting.
• A fitness for duty test will be required in order for the successful candidate to be given further consideration for the position.
Compensation and benefits
Benefits available include health plan, life insurance, dental, vision, 403B pension plan, annual leave time, holiday time, and sick time benefits. Benefits are available after the successful completion of a probationary period of 60 days of work.
This is a full-time CSEA Non-Exempt Union hourly position. Starting pay will be $16.18 per hour which is 85% of full rate ($19.04) during probation.
Please submit resume outlining education and experience by July 31, 2020 to (no phone calls please):
Noah Furmanek, Director of Facilities and Construction
The Buffalo Zoo is an At Will employer and all Buffalo Zoo employees are subject to employment eligibility and background security checks as well as testing for illegal substance use as allowed by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer