Kentucky Reptile Zoo
Closing DateAugust 31, 2022
The Kentucky Reptile Zoo internship program offers college students or recent graduates the chance to receive hands-on training experience at a facility with one of the most extensive and diverse reptile collections in the world. Start and end dates are flexible, and this internship season runs from late August/early September through early January.
The intern will assist in the captive maintenance of the zoo’s reptile collection, collect admissions to the exhibit, give interpretive talks and interact with the public, assist with educational outreach programs, and perform other duties as assigned. In addition, the intern will have the option to complete a research project related to the field of herpetology. The intern will not be involved in the handling of any venomous species.
Education and Pre-requisites
– A college student or recently graduated college student; former interns have arranged for academic credit with their institutions
– Students preferably majoring in the biological or natural sciences
– A valid driver’s license
– Personal transportation is recommended
– Willing to work weekends, receiving two days off during the week instead
– An ability to communicate effectively with people
– Comfortable handling snakes and other reptiles on a daily basis
– Able to do work such as lifting, bending, stooping, carrying heavy objects, and be willing to do work outdoors in a range of weather conditions
– Orientation to details
– Positive attitude and strong work ethic
– An interest in reptiles!
– Note: all interns must have a current tetanus shot and also be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Compensation and benefits
Benefits include housing (including internet and laundry) and a $500/month stipend to cover expenses. Interns have been successful in finding zoo keeper positions!
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, transcript, and at least 2 (preferably 3) references to:
Kentucky Reptile Zoo
200 L&E Railroad
Slade, KY 40376
or email to: email@example.com