In-Sync Exotics Wildlife Rescue & Educational Center
Closing DateJanuary 12, 2021
Under the supervision of the staff Veterinarian, this position has responsibility for managing all functions of the veterinary clinic, including ordering supplies and maintaining organization and cleanliness of the clinic. This position is also responsible for assisting with the care of all animals under the care of the Veterinarian. This position may be required to work uncommon hours including weekends and nights, overtime and be subject to recall in emergency situations. This position also has the duties of a keeper, when not busy with clinic work (cleaning enclosures, food prep, feeding, enrichment, habitat maintenance, etc.)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists the Veterinarian with all animal-care and surgical procedures.
• Treats hospitalized patients.
• Performs placement of IV catheters; administers and calculates IV fluid rates.
• Calculates dosages of medications and injections.
• Performs radiographic surveys of patients while practicing proper safety measures.
• Records controlled substances used and dispensed in Vetter software and controlled substance binder log.
• Collects and preserves laboratory samples for testing; processes samples that must be sent off for additional testing.
• Performs necessary in-house laboratory work such as blood chemistries, complete blood counts, urinalysis, SNAP testing, and microscopic examination of samples.
• Enters data into Vetter software.
• Ensures all clinic equipment is properly sterilized and stored.
• Keeps pharmacy and treatment areas stocked with supplies. Orders supplies as necessary.
• Makes morning rounds of the property, checking all animals who have any reported issues.
• Observes patients for changes in behavior.
• Prepares patients for exams or procedures.
• Cleans and maintains enclosures within clinic and other enclosures on property as needed; removes animal excrement and food remnants; hoses and sweeps as necessary; scrubs animal areas; cleans pools, tubs and water containers; changes bedding as necessary, laundry.
• Communicates with Veterinarian, President and keepers regarding medical status of animals.
• Interacts with all visitors, staff members, volunteers and interns with courtesy, respect and professionalism.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Pre-requisites
High school diploma or GED required. Valid Veterinary Technician certification strongly preferred.
Two years of veterinary technician experience is required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
Experience working with exotic animals strongly preferred.
Compensation and benefits
Based on experience and abilities
Email resume to Vicky Keahey at email@example.com