In-Sync Exotics Wildlife Rescue & Educational Center
Closing DateMay 21, 2021
We are licensed by the USDA, verified by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, and accredited by the American Sanctuary Association. We won the 2020 Wildlife Sanctuary of the Year by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries.
We are also affiliated with the International Fund for Animal Welfare, and are members of the Big Cat Sanctuary Alliance and Tigers in America.
Under general supervision, this position has responsibility for the care, welfare and safety of the animals at In-Sync Exotics. Maintains the physical enclosures, surroundings and environment of the animals. Answers questions and gives information to the visiting public. Trains and supervises volunteers and interns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Cleans and maintains animal enclosures; removes animal excrement and food remnants; hoses and sweeps as necessary; scrubs animal areas; climbs ramps and platforms; cleans and maintains pools, tubs and water containers; changes bedding as necessary.
• Shifts cats according to playground schedules, and to allow access for cleaning.
• Prepares diets for animals; loads and unloads food items; maintains food storage areas; completes meat rotation.
• Does laundry and dishes.
• Checks refrigerator to ensure all med meat is fresh, that we have enough for the upcoming days, keep track of bones and ensure meat rotation has been completed correctly.
• Cleans and maintains non-animal areas, such as the commissary and supply storage areas.
• Learns the procedures for feeding, enrichment and training cats. Completes these duties as assigned.
• Observes behavior and health of animals on both a day-to-day and long-term basis; notes and reports any unusual behavior, signs of injury or illness, change in appetite, etc.
• Administers medication and other treatments for illness or injury as directed. This may include injections, fluids, drawing blood, getting weights, post-op care and observations, and more.
• Trains volunteers, interns and new staff members. Provides any necessary assistance to the team. Checks enclosures after volunteers and interns clean, to ensure all is secure and clean, and that everything is put away properly.
• Completes required logs with all pertinent information. Checks logs for any abnormalities and report to supervisor.
• Completes end of day tasks, including checking all assigned enclosures (locks and doors are secure, clean water, supplies stocked and put away, cats are well).
• Completes inventories of meat, medications and supplies as directed.
• Answers questions and gives information regarding our animals, our operations and our sanctuary to the visiting public. Observes the public to prevent acts which could disturb the animals. Works in the Visitor Center as needed.
• Assists in rescue trips and transports, which includes loading and unloading animals, ensuring safety of animals and team, providing animal care, driving.
• Makes minor repairs to equipment and facilities as necessary.
• Provides assistance with construction and grounds maintenance projects.
• Attends required staff meetings.
• Coordinates Community Service workers when assigned.
• Interacts with all visitors, staff members, volunteers and interns with courtesy, respect and professionalism.
• Serves as Lead in the absence of the Lead Keeper when necessary.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Pre-requisites
High school diploma or GED required. Associates or bachelor’s degree in animal-related field strongly preferred.
Must have completed an internship with In-Sync Exotics, or have one year of experience working with animals. This may include volunteer work and internships.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
One year of experience working with exotic animals, exotic cats strongly preferred.
Compensation and benefits
Based on experience. Medical included. Paid vacation.
To apply, please send your resume to Vicky Keahey at email@example.com