The Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park
Closing DateOctober 1, 2016
• The Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park is the 5th oldest zoo in the country and serves a diverse community in the Southern Tier of upstate New York and nearby Pennsylvania. The Executive Director works with the Zoo Board of Directors to ensure that the operations, goals and plans are consistent with the Zoo’s educational, recreational and conservation missions. Specifically, the Director must ensure a high quality experience for visitors, high standards of animal care and a solid base of financial and marketing practices.
• The Director leads and fosters teamwork among an energetic, well-qualified zoo staff, promotes a customer driven approach to all systems and procedures at the zoo consistent with high quality animal care practices, and maintains the Zoo’s compliance with all state, local and federally regulated programs, including all requirements of the Species Survival Plan, the AZA and other programs as directed by the Board.
• The Director also acts as an effective spokesperson representing the Zoo within the community, statewide and nationally, developing and maintaining positive collaborative relationships with all stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, local and state leadership, employees, visitors and the community.
• The Directorship requires sound business and managerial expertise in developing innovative and sustainable sources of revenue. The Director prepares and oversees the annual operating budget in conjunction with the Board Financial Committee and ensures that the zoo operates within its annual budget. Thus proven experience in soliciting donations, grants and gifts in kind from local charitable foundations, corporations, individuals and governmental agencies is essential.
Education and Pre-requisites
Minimum requirements: Minimum requirements: BA in appropriate field with 5 years of successful senior management in a multi-employee organization, ideally in a zoological facility or related institution. Demonstrated experience with successful fundraising, as well as leadership and communication skills. Salary commensurate with experience.
Compensation and benefits
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applications should include:
• Cover letter of interest
• Current resume detailing size of organizations, scope of responsibilities, size of staff, accomplishments and expertise in financial management
• List of three references (name, position and/or relation to applicant, email address and/or phone number) who can be contacted during application review process
Applications may be submitted electronically (preferred) to
Anne B. Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail to
Anne B. Clark
Chair, Binghamton Zoo Director Search Committee
c/o Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park
185 Park Avenue Binghamton, NY 13903