Ellen Trout Zoo
Closing DateOctober 19, 2021
The Ellen Trout Zoo is looking for someone ready to assume a leadership role to mentor subordinates and promote our animal welfare program. This is a working supervisor position responsible for the daily management and care of a variety of animals and facilities. In the challenging time of the pandemic, one of our priorities has been maintaining job stability for our staff.
The position involves direct animal care, supervision of keepers, adaptability, and an ability to continue learning and developing animal and people management skills. The person in this position must be able to work within the framework of a small municipal zoo.
Key species within this area includes Lions, Tigers, Jaguars, Giraffe, Rhino, and a variety of other birds, mammals, and reptiles. Future plans include additional Hoofstock which may include Zebra and Nyala or other suitable species.
Functions and qualities:
• Implement Zoo priorities
• Help develop, participate in, and promote training and welfare with an emphasis on welfare-based training.
• Guide, train, motivate, and support staff, interns, and volunteers
• Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with diverse groups.
• Demonstrate initiative and expertise in problem solving and daily management.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Maintain clean and organized animal enclosures, equipment, and work areas.
• Ensure safe work practices and high husbandry standards.
• Observation of animal health and welfare.
• Preparation of animal diets, feeding and watering according to an established schedule. Clean, disinfect and sanitize water and food dishes.
• Maintain on and off exhibit aesthetics (planters, yards, perches, other exhibit “furniture”, etc.). Maintain live exhibit plantings to enhance exhibit aesthetics for visitors and provide a comfortable habitat for animals.
• Maintain and inspect area of responsibility to meet AZA and USDA standards.
• Physical aspects of the job include: lifting logs, rocks, hay bales, and feed bags.
• Perform minor repairs and improvements to enclosures.
• Assist with husbandry and veterinary procedures.
• Keep the curator informed and carry out duties and tasks as assigned.
• Basic computer proficiency: Word, Excel, Outlook, ZIMS
• Support the guest experience
• Provide support to our Educators by doing occasional talks and working with / mentoring students in the summer Jr. Zookeeper program.
This position requires an energetic, self-motivated person that works well within a team atmosphere and independently and the ability produce professional results n which employees may take pride.
Education and Pre-requisites
The position requires: Bachelor of Science degree in Biology or related field; a minimum of three years of progressively responsible paid experience in a professional zoological institution; good physical condition, and the ability to work both independently and with other employees. Will consider an equivalent combination of education and experience to provide the desired degree of proficiency.
Must present a positive professional image of the City of Lufkin and the Zoo to members of the public.
Compensation and benefits
This position is an essential service position, and will be required to provide services during emergency situations. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits and opportunities for professional growth and development. The position involves working on weekends and holidays. Starting salary is $35,679.32 annually. This position is exempt for overtime. Employees are required to contribute 7% (pre-tax) to the retirement fund through payroll deduction.
Submit the following 3 documents: resume, cover letter, and completed application. Apply online at https://cityoflufkin.com/services/jobs_opportunities/index.php. The position is listed as ELLEN TROUT ZOO – Collection Manager. Please also upload your cover/letter resume or email them separately to email@example.com.
Candidates must be able to be present for on-site interviews.