Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
Closing DateJune 1, 2023
Must be 21 years of age at the start of the internship!
Spring (January-May) deadline is October 1st
Summer (May-August) deadline is March 1st
Fall (August-December) deadline is June 1st
Summary/ Purpose of Position: This position will provide care for the inhabitants of the Children’s Animal Center (CAC); provide a safe, enjoyable, educational and interactive experience for our guests; and assist in maintaining the aesthetics of the CAC. CAC interns will also liaise with the Education & Tours Department to provide educational opportunities for Fossil Rim’s general guests and groups as applicable. This area provides one of the few opportunities for the public to interact with Fossil Rim Staff. This internship provides a wide variety of experiences working with a variety of goats and sheep, pot-bellied pigs, African spurred and Texas tortoises, non-venomous snakes, emus, psittacines, black-footed cats and various arthropods.
Intern Duties and Responsibilities: The essential responsibilities of the Animal Care Intern: CAC includes but are not necessarily limited to the following:
• Daily care and maintenance of animals at the CAC and within the ambassador animal collection
• Diet preparation for all animals including proper plant identification
• Construction and presentation of enrichment/ training programs including food, sensory, physical, occupational/ social and browse categories
• Observe and assist as directed with medical care of the CAC animals and ambassador animals
• Record keeping on all CAC animals and ambassador animals (Daily Care, Enrichment & Diet logs, medical & behavioral observations)
• Help provide a safe environment for learning and entertainment
• Assist with developing and providing educational programs to guests via exhibit talks, biofact tables and live animal presentations. Interns will also receive the opportunity to be tours trained.
• Constant cleaning of the CAC with consideration for public aesthetics, health and impression
• Help monitor safety of both people and animals by explaining CAC rules to guests and providing friendly reminders as needed. Seek additional help from staff as needed.
• Provide excellent customer service for guests
• Work closely with volunteers of all ages on animal care, public education and specific projects as appointed by CAC staff and Supervisor
• Responsible for overseeing the CAC when Supervisor and other CAC staff are absent
• Able to lift and carry 50 lbs
• Ability to spend up to 2/3 of the workday standing/ walking.
• Ability to work outside all day in weather ranging from extreme heat +100 degrees to extreme cold, below freezing and in wet conditions.
• Willingness to be trained in on using small maintenance equipment such as weed trimmer, mower, hand tools, wood shop saws
• Ensure compliance with Employee Handbook, Risk Management Plan, all other safety rules and procedures, the company vision, mission and goals. Always seek clarifications from CAC staff and Fossil Rim HR where needed.
Education and Pre-requisites
Desired Qualities, Experience and Educational Skills:
• Working towards or recently graduated with an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree. At least two years of undergraduate college work in wildlife management, conservation biology, or a related scientific discipline.
• Previous experience with animal care and public education beneficial but not required
• Good communication skills
• Basic computer literacy
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Patience with public (especially children)
• Ability to monitor animal/ human interactions
Compensation and benefits
Regular and dependable attendance is required. Additional time off must be approved by CAC Supervisor. Interns usually have a 5-day workweek, often requiring flexibility and ability to work weekends and holidays. Irregular scheduling in which days may exceed 8 hours. Interns will typically have weekdays off.
International students must have a J1 or B1 visa before arrival. Fossil Rim will not sponsor or assist with the visa process.
• Free onsite housing in a shared living environment
• Fossil Rim work vehicle to be used only on property when available
• Stipend of $300/month
If selected, candidate must have a TB test conducted within 30 days prior to arrival for internship.
Please apply through our website (https://fossilrim.org/career-internships/). WE DO NOT accept applications via email. Click the “Apply for this Position” button, fill out the form, upload the required documents, and click the “Submit Application” button. We require a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for 3 professional references. Please specify which season you are applying for.