Tiger World, Rockwell, NC
Closing DateJuly 26, 2021
NOW HIRING! Tiger World Endangered Wildlife Preserve has an immediate opening for an experienced Carnivore Animal Care Specialist to help care for our collection of Big Cats along with some of our other animal species too.
Tiger World is located just 20 minutes North of Charlotte, NC and we have some awesome Felines including Lions, Tigers, Jaguars, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Servals and more. Tiger World is a 501(c)3 non-profit public charity focused on conservation through education. We reach over 30,000 children a year through tours and demonstrations in addition to our general guest attendance. We are an intimate experience for guests to get a closer look and better understanding of not only tigers, but all 36 species residing within our rescue and education center. Staff has the privilege of engaging guests about the residents while utilizing operant conditioning training both protected and free contact with a variety of animals. Our zoo takes care of individual animals all with different personalities and we are looking for an individual that has gained experience working with Big Cats.
Successful Candidate will be responsible for;
1. Participate in monitoring and documenting Daily Animal Health
2. Preparation and administration of diets including processing of meat, and daily supplements.
3. Maintaining cleanliness of animal habitats and food areas.
4. Build relationships with the animals and participate with operant conditioning training and habitat/behavioral enrichment.
5. Educational tours, keeper talks, Big Cat Blast shows, traveling exhibits as needed (radio/tv station, schools, etc.)
6. Interaction and Handling of animals, plus participate with the Emergency Response Team.
7. Assist with veterinary care, vaccinations, blood draws, chemical immobilization and baby raising as needed.
8. Participate with maintenance of grounds in and around exhibits.
Education and Pre-requisites
Full-Time permanent position working at least 40 hours per week including weekends, holidays, and events as needed. Successful candidates will work in close proximity to dangerous animals, and professionalism, trust, and excellent communication skills are required.
1. BS degree in Biology/Zoology or related field or equivalent education, experience, and training. EATM Graduate a plus!
2. MINIMUM 1 YEAR Previous full-time paid experience working with BIG CATS.
3. Requires a team player that will interact positively with guests, staff, and volunteers.
4. Must be able lift at least 50 pounds.
5. Must work under challenging conditions and extreme weather.
6. Must be a motivated self-starter with a positive attitude and good work ethic.
7. Must be a able to follow instructions and required policies and procedures.
8. Must be honest, trustworthy and organized and be passionate about working with Big Cats.
9. Must have valid driver’s license and social security card or Work Visa.
10. One  letter of reference/recommendation upon request.
11. Up to date vaccinations including for Tetanus and be TB Negative. COVID Vaccine a plus.
Compensation and benefits
Competitive Pay. Salary is dependent upon education and experience. Vacation/Sick Time earned at 1 day per month of employment. Health Care Stipend available up to $150 per month. On-site living opportunity is available for the right person.
Please send your Resumé and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (letter of recommendation available upon request). We also enjoy pictures of your past experiences, please include them with your application. We carefully evaluate all applicants and will contact you for phone/skype interviews. If selected we require in person working interviews for job consideration. Good Luck!