Virginia Safari Park
Closing DateSeptember 20, 2022
The Virginia Safari Park (www.virginiasafaripark.com) is an award-winning 180-acre drive-through safari park (within our 500-acre facility) located in Southwest Virginia. This ZAA-Accredited Facility houses 1,000+ specimens of a wide variety of hoofed stock, including breeding groups of white rhinoceros and reticulated giraffe. We also breed cheetahs, Ruppel’s vultures, radiated tortoises, African penguins, Giant anteaters, and a variety of other endangered and rare species.
Conservation is at the core of what we do. Through our various breeding programs and in conjunction with our Corporate Conservation Coordinator we annually fund a myriad of conservation programs both nationally and internationally.
We are hiring for a dynamic, physically fit, experienced animal person who is either in a curatorial role or who is ready to take the next step up to this level. The position is physically demanding and active. This is a hands-on working position and requires work in the field. Applicants must have significant hands-on animal experience, including proven management experience. Must be professional, in both demeanor and appearance. Non-smoking work environment.
Job Description: Assistant Curator, Safari
• Direct oversight of the safari department, its resident animals, and 10-15 animal keepers.
• Ensure a high level of animal care and welfare.
• Training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving them.
• Reflect current trends and practices in the zoological field, including exhibition and care.
• Reviews, creates, maintains, and provides both leadership and oversight for policies, procedures, and protocols related to animal care and handling.
• Record-keeping will be of paramount importance.
• An understanding of nutrition, conformation, breeding habits, proper display techniques, and an eye for animal health and well-being
• Develops and manages, with senior staff, behavioral conditioning, and enrichment plans.
• Daily inspections of all animals, and staff within your department.
• Evaluate food requirements and diets and recommend changes
Education and Pre-requisites
• 5+ years of paid experience in a zoological park or breeding center with at least 3 years of ever-increasing responsibilities in a Curator or Senior Lead position.
• Extensive hands-on experience with hoofed stock including experience working with giraffes and rhinoceros.
• A BS in Animal Science/Biology preferred
• A strong work ethic, good physical condition, and a willingness to learn
• Professional in both demeanor and appearance.
• Have the ability to work in all weather conditions
• Experience in using or willing to learn to use trucks, tractors, weed eaters, and other types of machinery
• Self-motivated and organized, able to follow projects through to completion.
• Precise record-keeping, collection management experience
• Knowledge of proper animal conformation & body conditions, gestation periods, nutrition, and forages is a plus.
• Valid Driver’s license
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs
Compensation and benefits
Starting salary range of $41,600 – $52,000 commensurate with experience. Paid sick and vacation time, comp time, insurance options including vision and dental, 401k.
How to apply
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with Assistant Curator in the subject line. Only those applicants who fulfill the first 2 requirements will receive a response.