Closing DateJanuary 2, 2023
Under the direction of the Manager, the Animal Nutrition Keeper is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations associated with a variety of duties pertaining to preparation and delivery of food and supplies between the hours of 5am and 2pm. This position will coordinate all program objectives in addition to day-to-day husbandry and enclosure maintenance.
Our Mission: Houston Zoo connects communities with animals, inspiring action to save wildlife.
Our Vision: Houston Zoo will be a leader in the global movement to save wildlife.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares daily diets for Zoo’s animal collection, follows written and oral instructions concerning type and quantity of foods to be prepared and size of portions, obtaining necessary ingredients from the warehouse/barn/coolers/freezers, and washing, cleaning, peeling, dicing and/or slicing as required
• Accurately measures and weighs portions and packages foods in accordance with instructions
• Cuts, chops and grinds foods based upon detailed instructions
• Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of work area, all surfaces and equipment
• Packs and delivers diets and supplies throughout Zoo as per instructions
• Will assist in receiving deliveries and checking against packing slips
• Assist in receiving using forklift when needed
• Occasionally interact with and educate the public about animal nutrition and department operations through tours, keeper chats and other special events.
• In conjunction with the Zoo’s pest control officer, may assist in pest control through the use of exclusion or traps.
• Identifies potential maintenance or safety issues and reports them to the Manager.
• Exhibits good teamwork and communication skills both within the home team and when working with other teams or departments.
• Contributes to saving animals in the wild through: reduction of waste, water and energy use and inspiring guests and staff to take wildlife protecting actions
• Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Pre-requisites
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• One year of food preparation experience in a commercial food facility or 1 year of animal care experience in a zoological facility
• Must have or be able to obtain a valid Texas driver’s license
Compensation and benefits
Health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, 401k + match, paid time off, and free membership to the Houston Zoo, just to name a few benefits of joining the Houston Zoo family!
Apply directly here: https://us63.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/houstonzoo/Posting/View/1454
Or visit the Houston Zoo’s “Career’s Page”.