Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Closing DateJanuary 22, 2020
This program provides participants with first-hand experience with the animal keeper profession. Participants will work alongside and independently of Animal Keepers and learn the husbandry and safety protocol necessary to be good animal keepers. In addition, participants will get an introduction to other aspects of zoo animal management. This position provides a progressive level of experience for up to 14 weeks.
• Daily animal care (enclosure cleaning, animal diets, exhibit maintenance, animal training techniques, animal enrichment design and application, animal observation basics, daily documentation)
• Introduction to Animal Curator responsibilities
• Introduction to zoo conservation and science
• Introduction to zoo animal veterinary care
• Introduction to zoo animal records
• Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
Hours: 40 hours per week (5- 8 hour days); Work days and days off vary, may work weekends and holidays. Position lasts up to 14 weeks. Work shift can vary from 7am-3:30 to 9am-5:30pm.
Filing Deadline: 01/22/2020
Education and Pre-requisites
• Enrollment in or recent graduate of an animal sciences related degree program
• GPA of 2.5 or greater
• Prior paid or volunteer exotic animal experience is preferred.
• Ability to work flexible hours (includes weekends and holidays)
• Proof of a negative TB test within the last 6 months (required prior to start)
• Ability to work in hot or cold weather with dusty, wet and odorous conditions
• Ability to maneuver/lift 75 pounds
• Valid driver’s license
• Must possess good people skills
• Must possess good communication skills (verbal and written)
Compensation and benefits
$9.36 per hour
To Apply: Please visit our career site at www.clevelandmetroparks.com or copy and paste the following link into your web browser: