Lindsay Wildlife Experience (Walnut Creek, CA)
Closing DateDecember 14, 2020
• Lindsay seeks a self-motivated, flexible and responsible individual capable of supporting the daily operations of the Animal Encounters Department. Our part-time animal keepers are expected to work with a wide variety of animals, including birds of prey, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates. Part-time animal keepers help support Lindsay’s interpretive program, participating in daily public programming and working alongside the Education Department to provide a high-quality guest experience.
• Work with curator, veterinary staff, animal keepers, interns and volunteers to ensure the highest standards of animal care.
• Participate in daily husbandry, including handling, enrichment, training and record keeping.
• Participation in public programming using live animals; including daily exhibit hall programming and special events on and off-site. Will be involved in development of Lindsay Wildlife’s first free flight program.
• Training and supervision of part-time animal keepers, volunteers and interns.
• Facility maintenance (cleaning, equipment upkeep, organizational projects).
• Accurate observation, evaluation and documentation of animal behaviors.
• Work in coordination with the other departments to represent Lindsay and its mission in a professional manner and with high quality customer service.
• Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10- 25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly. Requires handling, using vision and hearing, and talking.
• Frequently requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, sitting, reaching, pushing/pulling, balancing, and twisting. Occasionally requires carrying, kneeling, foot controls, bending, and crouching. Rarely requires climbing.
• Frequently requires time pressures, frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, tedious or exacting work, and noisy/distracting environment. Rarely requires emergency situations.
OVERALL WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
• Primarily office environment, as well as public exhibit hall programming, and infrequent outdoor event and/or outreach sites.
Education and Pre-requisites
• Two years’ experience working with wild/exotic animals, preferably in a zoological setting.
• Solid understanding of operant conditioning as a basis of animal behavior management.
• BS in biology, animal behavior, or related field preferred.
• Experience training animals using positive reinforcement techniques.
• Exemplary verbal and written communication skills and ability to speak to diverse audiences.
• Experience with public speaking as it relates to informal environmental education is preferred.
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team of both staff and volunteers.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel and Google Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Drive, etc.)
• Must be willing to work some holidays and weekends.
• Must be able to sustain prolonged bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Compensation and benefits
• Non-exempt part time position, 16-24-hours a week, $16 per hour.
• Lindsay offers a competitive benefits package including paid sick time, vacation, holidays and 401K eligibility.
• Flexibility to work some evenings, early mornings and special events as needed.
During the COVID-19 crisis, this position will work Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Once COVID-19 crisis protocols have been suspended, the Animal Keeper’s schedule will include one weekend day (Sunday or Saturday depending on department needs).
• To apply for this opportunity send cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com Please put “Animal Keeper – Part Time” in the subject line.
• No phone calls, please.
• Automatic applications from websites, such as Indeed, will not be considered. References will not be checked without permission.
• *Submit all materials in PDF format with your first initial and last name in the document name
• Example: JSmith_Resume.pdf
• EEO Policy Statement
• It is the policy of Lindsay Wildlife Experience to afford equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to their race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or status that is protected by federal, state or local law.