Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Closing DateDecember 13, 2022
An Animal Keeper possesses a proven working knowledge of animal husbandry, a strong conservation ethic, exceptional interpersonal skills and strong leadership abilities to provide high quality care for assigned areas.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DUTIES
There is an Animal Keeper position available. The person accepting this position will work as a keeper in the Rainforest. The primary duties of this position include but are not limited to orangutans, aviary, and porcupine/sloth line and commissary. The person accepting this position must learn the other areas in the Rainforest and Commissary.
• Provides food, water, medications, and supplements as indicated by schedules, prescriptions, or diet boards. To include loading and unloading animal feeds, hay, bedding, and animal care supplies.
• Completes and reviews daily activity reports, diet consumption reports, behavior and/or training records, enrichment records, or any other written documentation on assigned animals.
• Cleans, maintains, and disinfects animal enclosures and service areas.
• Observes individual animals daily and reports animal behavior, appearance, fecal conditions, and unique characteristics.
• Performs proper restraint techniques for crating, transferring, or veterinary procedures.
• Monitors, reports, and performs pest control in assigned areas.
• Prepares and continually enhances animal areas for aesthetic, reproductive, behavior, and animal safety (i.e. perching material, nest boxes, “furniture”, live or artificial plants, etc…).
• Samples and records water analysis.
• Provides continual environmental enrichment by approved methods.
• Trains assigned animals for husbandry and enrichment.
• Responds to hazardous or potentially unsafe situations by taking corrective action and promptly notifying supervisory staff.
CONSERVATION and SCIENCE
• Participates in ex situ and/or in situ conservation initiatives (i.e., studbooks, field research, public education, marketing, etc.)
• Supports, accommodates, and/or participates in on-ground research initiatives (i.e., research proposal review, assist outside researchers, systematic record-keeping, behavior observations, literature searches, presentations to staff/volunteers, data or sample collections, etc.)
• Possesses knowledge of research and conservation initiatives in nature and in zoos. This may include Cleveland Metroparks Zoo’s involvement, AZA’s, or any organization within his or her area of interest or expertise.
• Communicates regularly with peers and managers concerning matters of animal care, safety, and work schedules.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with co-workers (i.e. keepers, education, maintenance, marketing, volunteers) and the public.
• Understands and follows verbal and written instructions.
• Demonstrates initiative, dependability, teamwork, resourcefulness, good judgment, a positive attitude, and common sense.
• Voices concerns constructively.
• Participates in available task forces.
• The person accepting this position must learn the other areas in the Rainforest and Commissary.
• Works assigned shifts any day of the week with varying days off.
• Performs related duties as apparent or assigned
• Reports maintenance issues through the use of work orders.
• Attends scheduled meetings.
• Operates a motor vehicle and other mechanical tools and equipment (i.e. hand tools, computers, incubators, etc…).
• Assist in the training of seasonal employees.
• Supports the mission statement of the zoo and established animal care programs.
• Carries out duties and responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner to maintain a safe work environment and surrounding area for oneself, animals, co-workers, and public.
Education and Pre-requisites
• High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in animal sciences or related field preferred.
• Two years full time experience with captive exotic animals, six months if possess a Bachelor’s degree.
• Demonstrated education, training and experience supporting the Essential Functions (listed above).
• Demonstrated ability to work in hot or cold weather, dusty, wet, and odorous conditions. Must be able to maneuver 75 pounds.
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
WORK DAYS: Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
CURRENT DAYS OFF: Wed, Thur, Friday
Compensation and benefits
$27.91 per hour with a $0.50 increase each six months until achieving $29.41 per hour
TO APPLY: Please visit our career site at www.clevelandmetroparks.com or copy and paste the following link into your web browser: