Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Closing DateDecember 15, 2015
The Animal Keeper is responsible for the daily care of the animal collection, mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates, performs various jobs related to the care and cleaning of animals including the set-up of habitat displays and is involved in Zoo Education research programs. The person accepting this position will work as an Area Relief Keeper in the Rainforest area of the Zoo and will work with reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds and mammals (including primates) and invertebrates. They must have basic knowledge of filters and water testing. This person must also show ability to handle snakes and a willingness to handle venomous snakes with appropriate training.
• Provides food, water, medications, and supplements as indicated by schedules, prescriptions, or diet boards. Load and unload animal feeds and animal care supplies.
• Completes and reviews daily activity reports, diet consumption reports, behavior and/or training records, enrichment records, or any other written documentation on assigned animals.
• Cleans, maintains, and disinfects animal enclosures and service areas.
• Observes individual animals daily and reports animal behavior, appearance, fecal conditions, and unique characteristics.
• Performs proper restraint techniques for crating, transferring, or veterinary procedures.
• Monitors, reports, and performs pest control in assigned areas.
• Prepares and continually enhances animal areas for aesthetic, reproductive, behavior, and animal safety (i.e. perching material, nest boxes, “furniture”, live or artificial plants, etc…).
• Samples and records water analysis.
• Provides continual environmental enrichment by approved methods.
• Trains assigned animals for husbandry and enrichment.
• Responds to hazardous or potentially unsafe situations by taking appropriate corrective action
• Participates in ex situ and/or in situ conservation initiatives
• Supports, accommodates, and/or participates in on-ground research initiatives
• Possesses knowledge of research and conservation initiatives in nature and in zoos.
• Communicates regularly with peers and managers concerning matters of animal care, safety, and work schedules.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with co-workers
• Demonstrates initiative, dependability, teamwork, resourcefulness, good judgment, a positive attitude, and common sense.
• Voices concerns constructively.
• Participates in assigned task forces.
• Performs related duties as apparent or assigned.
Education and Pre-requisites
• High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in animal sciences or related field preferred.
• Two years full time experience with captive exotic animals, six months if possess a Bachelor’s degree.
• Demonstrated education, training and experience supporting the Essential Functions (listed above).
• Demonstrated ability to work in hot or cold weather, dusty, wet, and odorous conditions. Must be able to maneuver 75 pounds.
• Possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
• Must be non-smoker/tobacco user.
Compensation and benefits
STARTING WAGE: $23.74 per hour with a.50 cent increase every six months until achieving the union base rate of $25.24 per hour
HOURS: Ten hour shifts, four days a week. Days off vary.
DATE POSTED: 12/1/2015
FILING DEADLINE: 12/15/2015
TO APPLY: Your cover letter must clearly explain how your skills and experience align with the above job qualifications.
E-mail résumé referencing job #15262 to:
Cleveland Metroparks is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and talented workforce.