Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
Closing DateFebruary 10, 2023
Summary/Purpose of Position:
This position will be responsible for the daily care of the carnivore collection at Fossil Rim Wildlife Center, with a primary focus on red wolves, maned wolves, Mexican wolves, and black-footed cats. This position will also be trained to care for the cheetah collection.
Specific/Mandatory Duties: The essential responsibilities of the Animal Care Specialist – Carnivores include but are not limited to the following:
• Responsible for the daily husbandry and well-being of the red wolf, Mexican wolf, maned wolf, and black-footed cat collections.
• Assist with the daily husbandry of the cheetah collection.
• Routine cleaning, maintenance, and monitoring of all carnivore facilities and diet prep areas.
• Daily diet preparation for the carnivore collection.
• Enhance the conservation programs and educational opportunities through sound animal management practices.
• Progressive involvement and understanding of all carnivore programs, SSPs, and other AZA/ZAA affiliates with which Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is associated.
• Maintain a high standard of care for all animals and facilities on a day-to-day basis.
• Assist with all medical/management procedures within the carnivore department.
• Keep accurate records and report to Curator and Senior Animal Care Specialist.
• Assist with carnivore breeding introductions.
• Implement/continue a training program for carnivores.
• Provide enrichment to the carnivore collection.
• Regular and dependable attendance is required.
• Be available for after-hours and weekend call out in emergencies.
• Ability to drive and/or operate small maintenance equipment e.g., chainsaw, weed trimmer, mower, hand tools, truck and lawn tractor.
• Ensure compliance with Employee Handbook, Risk Management Plan, all other safety rules & procedures, the company vision, mission and goals.
The secondary responsibilities of the Animal Care Specialist – Carnivores position include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide educational opportunities through tours and occasional public speaking events.
• On call as needed per emergency situation.
• Provide services for Fossil Rim visitors as needed.
• Assist other Animal Care Department members as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Pre-requisites
Desired Qualities, Experience and Educational Skills:
• Degree in biology, zoology, animal science, or a related field preferred
• At least two years of experience with non-domestic carnivores
• Some maintenance experience preferred
• Basic knowledge of animal care/animal science and nutrition
• Carnivore training experience preferred
• Ability to work as a team member or alone
• Ability to take instruction from multiple supervisors
• Commitment and dedication
• Flexibility in daily schedule and expectations
• Creative thinking
Usually a 5-day, 40 hour work week, requiring flexibility and ability to work weekends and holidays. Irregular scheduling in which days may exceed 8 hours. Be available for after-hours and weekend call out in emergencies.
• Able to lift and carry 75 pounds.
• Ability to bend over.
• Ability to spend up to 2/3 of the workday standing/walking.
• Ability to work outside all day in weather ranging from extreme heat (100+ degrees) to extreme cold (below freezing) and in wet conditions.
Please submit your resume today! We are a Non-Profit organization and an equal employment opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other protected classification under federal and state law.
Fossil Rim is an “at will” and equal opportunity employer. It should be noted that it is company policy to conduct background checks on potential new employees, inclusive of testing for drugs and controlled substance use.
Compensation and benefits
Please apply through our website at https://fossilrim.org/career-internships/. WE DO NOT accept applications via email. Click the “Apply for this Position” button, fill out the form, upload the required documents, and click the “Submit Application” button.