Tiger World, Rockwell, NC
Closing DateOctober 31, 2021
Tiger World Endangered Wildlife Preserve, a non-profit charity, has an immediate opening for a Full-Time permanent Animal Care Professional to help care and manage our collection of Big Cats and Primates.
We are located just 20 minutes North of Charlotte, NC and have amazing animals including Lions, Tigers, Jaguars, Leopards, Lemurs, Baboons, Bears, Birds, Reptiles, and more. Tiger World is a 501(c)3 non-profit public charity focused on conservation through education. We reach over 30,000 children a year through tours and demonstrations in addition to our general guest attendance. We are an intimate experience for guests to get a closer look and better understanding of not only tigers, but all 36 species residing within our rescue and education center. Staff has the privilege of engaging guests about the residents while utilizing operant conditioning training both protected and free contact with a variety of animals. Our zoo takes care of individual animals all with different personalities and we are looking for an individual keen on listening to the animals and their needs. Our diverse collection requires an expert in motivational positive reinforcement and of course patience. The chosen individual will use operant conditioning training to enrich the lives of their animals and create a stress-free working environment for the animal’s health care.
We are looking for a dedicated, passionate and fast learning individual with a minimum of 2 years’ experience working with Big Cats.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
1. Monitoring and documenting Daily Animal Health
2. Preparation of diets including the processing of meat, fruits/veggies and daily administration of supplements and medications.
3. Maintaining cleanliness in and around animal habitats and food areas.
4 Build relationships with the animals and participate with operant conditioning training and behavioral enrichment.
5. Educational Tours & Keeper Talks.
6. Interaction and Handling of animals.
7. Assist with veterinary care and baby-raising as needed.
8. Participate with Maintaining, and upgrading of exhibits.
9. Maintenance of grounds in and around exhibits.
Education and Pre-requisites
Full-Time permanent position working at least 40 hours per week including weekends, holidays, and events as needed. Successful candidates will work in close proximity to dangerous animals, and professionalism, trust, and excellent communication skills are required.
1. BS degree in Biology/Zoology or related field or equivalent education, experience, and training. EATM a plus 🙂
2. MINIMUM of 2 years of operant conditioning husbandry and training with class 1 animals in licensed zoo.
3. Must possess a strong understanding of felid raising including the ability to read precursors to aggression and knowledge of redirection.
4. Requires a team player that will interact positively with guests, staff, and volunteers.
5. Must be able lift at least 50 pounds.
6. Must work under challenging conditions and extreme weather.
7. Must be a motivated self-starter with a positive attitude and good work ethic.
8. Must be able to follow instructions and required policies and procedures.
9. Must be honest, trustworthy and organized and be passionate about working with Big Cats.
10. Must have valid driver’s license and social security card or Work Visa.
11. One  letter of reference/recommendation.
12. Up to date vaccinations including for Tetanus and be TB Negative. COVID Vaccine a plus.
Compensation and benefits
Starting annual salary depends upon experience, we offer competitive pay. Vacation/Sick Time earned at 1 day per month of employment. Health Care Stipend available of $150 per month and boot stipend $150/year.
On-site living opportunity is available for the right person.
Please send your Resumé and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (letter of recommendation should be available upon request). It is also helpful to see your past experiences, please include pictures of your work with your application. We carefully evaluate all applicants and will conduct interviews via Skype. Good Luck!